Ibrahim Amir is a trial attorney representing clients in both federal and state courts. He focuses his practice on international arbitration and complex commercial litigation involving real estate, fraud, federal maritime law, business torts, unfair and deceptive practice, and contractual disputes. Ibrahim also helps clients in matters relating to international investment law.
He gained an extensive international experience working at the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law, International Institute for the Unification of Private Law, and Hong Kong International Arbitration Center.
Prior to joining Diaz Reus, Ibrahim worked at several prestigious national and international firms practicing civil and commercial litigation as well as international arbitration. During law school, he undertook two judicial internships at the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida and the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida. He also was a Senior Editor at Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment, Columbia Law School, and was the Founding President of Miami Law International Arbitration Society. Ibrahim was awarded the prestigious Order of Barristers from University of Miami School of Law for his excellent representation of Miami Law in several international moot competitions.
Ibrahim is native in Arabic.
Areas of Practice
- The Hague Academy of International Law, summer courses on Public and Private International law.
- Juris Doctor, University of Miami School of Law (cum laude, Order of Barristers), Miami, Florida.
- LL.M. in International Arbitration, University of Miami School of Law, Miami, Florida.
- LL.M. in Oil and Gas Law, University of Aberdeen School of Law, United Kingdom.
- Master of Laws, Cairo University School of Law, Egypt.
- LL.B., King Abdul Aziz University School of Law (First Class Honors), Saudi Arabia.
- District of Columbia.
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
- What Did Maduro Accomplish on His Middle East Trip?, Inter-American Dialogue – Latin America Advisor (June 2022).
- Developments in International Investment Law and Policy in the Middle East and North Africa in 2020, The Yearbook on International Investment Law and Policy (Nov. 2020).
- The Proper Law of the Arbitration Agreement, A Comparative Law Perspective: A Report from the CIArb London’s Branch Keynote Speech 2021, Kluwer Arbitration Blog (May 2021).
- How Supreme Court May Resolve the Int’l Discovery Circuit Split, Law 360 – Expert Analysis (Sep. 2021).
- Arbitrating with Saudi Governmental Bodies: Modifying the 56-Year-Old Practice, Kluwer Arbitration Blog (Feb. 2020).
- A Wind of Change! Tanzania’s Attitude Towards Foreign Investors and International Arbitration, Kluwer Arbitration Blog (Dec. 2018).
- Summary of Young-OGEMID Symposium No. 6: Double Trouble: Parallel Proceedings in International Arbitration, Transnational Dispute Management (2018).
- Case Report, PL Holdings S.à.r.l. v. Republic of Poland, SCC Case No. V 2014/163, Partial Award of June 28, 2017, Transnational Dispute Management (2018).
- Case Report, Copper Mesa Mining Corporation v. The Republic of Ecuador, PCA Case No. 2012-2, Award of March 15, 2016, Transnational Dispute Management (2018).
Favorable Results / Representative Matters
- Successfully prosecuted in a bench trial and secured the return of real estate assets fraudulently transferred and adversely possessed in a matter relating to an international commercial partnership dispute.
- Obtained dismissal in a federal court on a motion to dismiss of claims against a mega yacht owner relating to an international maritime dispute.
- Successfully defended a yacht marina in a federal court in a claim relating to gross negligence and loss of use damages.
- Successfully represented the board of directors of a national bank in a federal court in a dispute relating to the ownership and control of the bank involving parallel proceedings in three countries.
- Representing the board of directors of a national bank in a federal court in a derivative lawsuit brought by the shareholders of the bank.
- Representing the plaintiff in a civil wrongful death action.
- Representing the appellant in an appeal before the Florid Third District Court of Appeal in a matter relating to the trial court order granting a summary judgment order to the appellee. (Pro Bono)
- Successfully represented the interests of Florida Guardian ad Litem Office in an appeal before the Florid Second District Court of Appeal. (Pro Bono).