Gustavo Mejia Ricart No. 106
Torre Piantini, Suite 802
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
+1 877 247-9277
José Alfredo Rizek
José Alfredo Rizek, a skilled litigator and arbitrator based in the Dominican Republic, has over 20 years of experience advising clients and negotiating complex international commercial disputes, in particular those arising out of the WTO safeguards regime, social security partnerships, securities and real estate fraud, contract litigation, telecommunications and information technologies interconnection and competition disputes, international arbitration, and the enforcement of both domestic and international awards.
Throughout his exemplary career, and prior to entering private practice, he has served as in-house corporate counsel for several major U.S. and Dominican corporations and has held high profile government positions in the Dominican Republic, working with regulatory agencies in the banking, securities, telecommunications, and utilities’ sectors where he was responsible for securing authorizations and dealing with administrative and competition disputes, and also has extensive experience in leading international financing and M&A processes.
As an arbitrator of the Dominican Center of Dispute Resolution, IDAC and ICC, José has acted both as party-appointed and neutral arbitrator in proceedings related to contract disputes and liability, arising out of contractual or duty-to-perform obligations. As a mediator, he is frequently retained to intervene in shareholder and partnership disputes.
He is recognized by clients for his commitment to both their interests and objectives, accomplishing the most beneficial results for their operations, while maintaining the highest ethical standards in actions.
- Warrington College of Business Administration, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla., Master in Economic Regulation of Utilities.
- Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra, Santo Domingo, D.R., J.D., cum laude.
- Dominican Republic
Areas of Practice
- Business & Finance Transactions
- International Government Relations
- Litigation, Arbitration & Mediation
- Regulatory Compliance
- Center for Dispute Resolution, CRC, Santo Domingo.
- Fundación Institucionalidad y Justicia, Santo Domingo.
- Dominican Association of Corporate Attorneys, Santo Domingo.
- National Association of Young Entrepreneurs, Santo Domingo.
- Dominican Bar Association, Santo Domingo.
- Inter American Bar Association, Washington, D. C.
- Hispano American Association of Telecommunications Companies and Research Centers, Madrid, Spain.