3400 Miami Tower
100 S.E. 2nd Street, Miami, Florida 33131
Roland M. Potts
Roland M. Potts has an extensive background in litigation, arbitration, and appellate matters, representing multinational clients on issues of construction defects, products liability, and breach of contract claims.
His experience includes litigating claims, drafting legal filings, and communicating with clients and experts in both English and Spanish, and is conversational in Portuguese.
Mr. Potts is admitted to practice in Florida and the United States District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida and has successfully arbitrated cases in the International Court of Arbitration for the International Chamber of Commerce and the American Arbitration Association.
Over his years in practice, he has also advised on matters in federal and state court regarding the Civil Rights Act, Florida Civil Rights Act, attorney malpractice, defamation, and premises liability claims.
- Florida International University College of Law, J.D., 2010
- Florida International University Chapman School of Business, MBA, with Honors, 2006
- University of Miami, B.S., Business Administration, 2005
- Florida Bar
- United States District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida
Areas of Practice
- Appeals & Trial Support
- Litigation, Arbitration & Mediation
- Vice Chair for the International Ethics Committee of the American Bar Association
- International Law Quarterly, Editor for the Caribbean Region
- Cuban American Bar Association, Member
- The Florida Bar, International Law Section, Member
- Panelist, XIII International Arbitration Congress (Congreso Internacional de Arbitraje IPA), Lima, Peru.
- Legal 500 Latin America 2021: International Arbitration
- 2021 South Florida Legal Guide: Top Lawyer
- 2019 Latinvex Rising Legal Star
- 2016-2020 Florida Super Lawyers (Rising Star): Civil Litigation, Class Action/Mass Torts, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Represented foreign sovereign entity in multiple arbitrations across multiple countries as well a maritime attachment proceeding in the Southern District of New York against joint venture partner concerning the alleged breach of multiple contracts, successfully arguing the entity was entitled to immunity under Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act.
- Represented former partners in offshore investment bank group against remaining partners in a multi-million-dollar state complex commercial court action with claims of breach of contract, fraud, negligence, and unjust enrichment.
- Represented international roofing corporation in Spanish language Panamanian arbitration against developer and general contractor of airport expansion project in a multi-million-dollar breach of contract claim.
- Represented agricultural manufacturer against former global distributor in multimillion dollar arbitration involving breach of contract and anti-competitive claims that went to final hearing.
- Represented hydroelectric power plant owner in matter against developer and contractor of the power plant for breach of procurement engineering and construction contract..
- Represented global communications company against national telecommunications company in a multibillion dollar litigation concerning a breach of a telecommunication services contract.
- Represented national university and hospital against several hundred foreign plaintiffs alleging various human rights violations under state and federal laws.