3400 Miami Tower
100 S.E. 2nd Street, Miami, Florida 33131
Juan Ramirez, Jr.
The bilingual, Cuban-born former Chief Judge of the Florida Third District Court of Appeal, Juan Ramirez, Jr. brings acute understanding of the law, sound judgment and extensive experience across a range of legal issues to assist Diaz Reus international clients.
“The best lawyers are the ones that are best prepared,” says Ramirez, “whether in oral argument in front of an appellate court or in a simple mediation. Preparation, constant study and highly ethical conduct enable a lawyer to succeed for his client. These are the principles I teach my students and employ in my own practice.”
A prolific legal author and adjunct professor at the University of Miami School of Law, Ramirez served 24 years on Florida trial and appellate courts, as well as two years as a JAMS neutral. In those roles he helped resolve thousands of disputes in banking, commerce, construction, employment, family law, governmental matters, maritime law, and more, involving parties and enterprises from Latin America, Europe, Asia and North America.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Connecticut School of Law, 1975
- University of Florida, 1969-1971 (Ph.D. candidate in Latin American History)
- B.A., Vanderbilt University, 1969
- B.A., Vanderbilt University, 1968
- Florida Bar
- National Association of Distinguished Neutrals
Areas of Practice
- Appeals & Trial Support
- Litigation, Arbitration & Mediation
- Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Neutral at JAMS, 2012-2014 numerous law school courses
- Judge, Florida District Court of Appeal, Third District, 2000-2012 (Chief Judge, 2009-2012)
- Judge, Florida Circuit Court, 11th Judicial Circuit, 1990-1999
- Judge, Florida County Court, Miami Dade County, 1988-1990
- As a chief judge, served on the District Court of Appeals Budget Commission
- Third District representative to the Conference of Circuit Court Judges
- Represented the Third District on the Court Technology Committee for the Appellate Courts of Florida and the Education Committee of the Conference of District Court Judges, until his retirement in 2012.
- Civil Section Chair and Education Program Chair, Third District Courts of Appeal
- Florida Courts Education Council
- Florida Bar; Member, Florida Rules of Civil Procedure, appellate Rules and Family Law Committees
- Top Lawyers, Appeals and Trial Support; South Florida Legal Guide, 2015